Next year the moon will almost be full during the meteor shower, so it might be a couple years until I meet another Perseid again. During our trek to and from the top of the mountain we ran face to face into a grey horned owl, a baby fox and a baby buck. It was amazing and memorable for the kiddos.
Monday, August 12, 2013
Perseid
For FHE Monday night the kids stayed up till 1:30AM. Are we crazy? Quite possibly. But summer is drawing to a close and we're making the best of it soaking up the sun...or in this case the night. We started our trek (driving in our car) up to the mountains, and by the time we got to the top of the mountains, we were only 16 miles from home. (I love it here). We staked out our camping chairs and porta-grill and prepped ourselves for the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. There were wild fires many miles away from us, but there was still some smoke in the air so visibility was low even though the moon had low light. But we did get to see a few meteors, and I was able to capture one with my camera. I would leave my lens open for about 20 seconds before the picture would end, just HOPING to capture a meteor. (If you leave the lens open any longer than that, the stars will make a tail streak because of the earth's rotation). And after many photos, I actually captured one...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment